8.06.2011

First Big Kid Breakfast

There will come a point when your child can feed himself yet he is not ready for a bowl of cereal.  This was when I went to a great breakfast that even became a favorite breakfast of my eighteen-year-old, as it has a bold flavor and color to match.

Oatmeal: For price, taste, and texture, I chose Whole Foods' 365 Organic Maple Spice Instant Oatmeal.  At 150 calories and 10.7 grams of protein (according to the National Academy of Science, children ages 1-3 need about 1300 calories and 16 grams of protein per day), it is a great source of fuel and vital nutrients, as children of this age need a great deal of protein to support their rapid growth.  This same meal can also be made with Instant Whole Grain Cream of Wheat.

Fruit: It's time to stock up on the frozen fruit, as it is the only way to get some of these fruits organically year-round.  Cascadian Farms, Wymans, and Whole Foods' 365 were my go to fruit brands for blueberries (Wyman's Wild blueberries are small and perfect), raspberries, blackberries, and peaches.  I chose these fruits as I found that frozen, these offered the boldest flavor without tasting watered down or frost-bitten. 

Milk: I make my oatmeal with milk, as it is a great chance to get in some calcium and it just tastes better than water.

Here is the way it comes together:
Super Oatmeal
1. Empty your packet of oatmeal into a microwave safe bowl (I used my everyday china's cereal bowl)
2. Pour your fruit over the top (don't be afraid to mix it up); generally 2-3 tablespoons, depending upon the fruit, is perfect, but more is great.
3. Add your milk.  How much depends upon what fruit you used (some contribute more juice than others) and how wet your child prefers their oatmeal.  I got it wrong most every morning, so my son grew to love moist oatmeal!
4.  Heat per the instructions on your oatmeal, though if you can get away with less, it will save you time in the cooling phase, as kids are notorious for not liking food too warm.
5.  Sprinkle with cinnamon, stir well, and place on granite counter (amazing for rapid cooling) or in freezer to cool for consumption.

Be warned, kids love this meal and it stays on the spoon relatively well, so they can feed themselves, but if it falls, it stains, and if you do not clean it quickly it glues itself to your table (literally, I had to clean my table with a sander and stick to get up all the bits I missed), but it made breakfast so easy and happy that I could actually enjoy my cup of coffee during this phase!

No comments:

Post a Comment